Getting and staying motivated to exercise is hard. It can be very intimidating. If you are motivated to exercise you will be way more likely to want to do it, making it easier to stay on track.
We don’t always find the time to invest in ourselves like we should.
I know as a parent and a wife that I am usually more focused on my family’s needs and leave little time for myself.
But in order to be successful I have to change that, and you can too, by following one or more of these techniques on how to get motivated to lose weight and exercise.
Different Types of Motivation
There are actually 2 different types of motivation: Intrinsic and Extrinsic.
Intrinsic motivation involves doing something because it is personally rewarding to you. It is satisfying. Like if you exercise because of the sense of accomplishment you feel at the end of the workout. That is a source of intrinsic motivation. You have a very high chance of success if you find ways to be intrinsically motivated.
Extrinsic motivation comes from an external factor pushing you to do something for a result. You aren’t doing it because it is enjoyable or satisfying. An example would be if you went to the doctor and they said you had to lose weight and exercise for your health, you would be extrinsically motivated to start a diet and exercise plan. Extrinsic motivation is good for getting the ball rolling and accomplishing short term goals.
If you have outside pressures to lose weight and exercise, let it motivate you to get started. Or if you have a rough day and need a push, promise yourself a reward when you complete your workout.
Techniques to Get and Stay Motivated
Here are some great techniques to get and stay motivated to lose weight and exercise:
- Practice positive thinking by thinking about everything in a positive light. Keep all negative thinking out of your life.
- Make a great music playlist. That will help you be happy and feel good.
- Start small. Make short term attainable goals and reward yourself when you reach them.
- Let go of bad habits. Start incorporating good ones into your life.
- Make a schedule and keep it. Make sure to keep your excuses in check.
- Put on your workout clothes. You tend to feel dumb if you change out of your workout clothes without ever working out in them.
- Become a morning person. Evening exercise is great, but there are perks to having a morning routine.
- Stay accountable. Telling a friend or family member your goals can help you follow through with them. You can even sign a contract and come up with a price you pay for days you miss.
- Keep a journal and use it. Make sure to keep track of why you started and how you feel after each workout.
- Never miss a Monday or Friday. You will feel better on the 2 days you have off between them.
- Practice self care. Make sure you take the time to unwind or take a bath when you are sore.
- Surround yourself with motivation. Find motivational pictures, books, quotes, blogs, and videos to inspire you. Make sure to save your favorites for the days you feel like giving up.
- Take a rest when it’s needed. Don’t overwork yourself, you don’t want to burn out.
- Go to a group class. Having other people around with the same goals can help.
- Don’t be to hard on yourself, if you slip up, it’s OK. Acknowledge you messed up and move on.
- Don’t give up! Know that success can and will happen with time and practice.
- Get addicted to the endorphin rush you get after a workout. It will have you in a good mood for hours after your workout.
Motivational Quotes to Get You Started
- Eat clean. Drink water. Train hard. Set goals. Stay focused. Never give up.
- It is not one giant step that does it. It is lots of little steps.
- Weight gain does not happen overnight, neither does weight loss.
- When you think about quitting, think about why you started.
- This is the time I will be stronger, braver, kinder, and unstoppable. This is the time I will be fierce.
You Can be Successful
You can and will be successful if you want it. Just know that you have to make it a lifestyle. You have to take the time to build habits, learn things, and make adjustments.
It will get easier over time. It won’t happen overnight, but once you get started, you will feel better and better, and that will help you to stay motivated.
I hope this article helps you get motivated to exercise and lose weight. If you have any questions or comments feel free to leave them at the bottom.